you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

wider seat options?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: wider seat options?

wider seat options? 6 years, 10 months ago #1621

• TC
  • Senior Boarder
Hey guys,

About two months ago I dislocated my tailbone in a small stack, was a very painful experience, finally now I can ride again, but only for maybe 20 minutes before the pain starts to become unbearable. I have bought an airhawk but it doesn't do much.

I need a wider seat as my arse bones are about an inch wider than the seat thus a lot of pressure goes to my tailbone.

So can anyone recommend an option hopefully local (as in Oz) maybe a seat mod or a whole new seat. I am aware of corbin etc but would like to go Aussie if possible (and cheaper).

Thanks guys
Travin

Re: wider seat options? 6 years, 10 months ago #1628

• Roge
  • Expert Boarder
  • What to ride today?
I looked at the corbin seat which is a lot wider but is expensive and have not yet decided what to do, will watch this with interest
If there is a 50/50 chance of gettingb the right answer how come there is a 90% chance of getting it wrong

Re: wider seat options? 6 years, 10 months ago #1666

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
contact aussie comfy motorcycle seats and ask to have your seat widened and use softer foam. It costs a few hundred dollars. i am sending mine soon for surgery.

Re:wider seat options? 6 years, 10 months ago #1667

• bundyjd
  • Senior Boarder
I put a replacement foam base and gripper cover on mine a couple of months ago that widened the seat. Got it from seatconcepts.com in the US, about $200 delivered.

It uses the stock base, so you just glue on the new wider foam and install the new cover, pretty easy if you have access to an air powered stapler.

I just did a 250km ride yesterday, no sore arse today. Did a 350km ride a couple of weeks ago with an Airhawk as well as the new seat, pure heaven.

There is a thread in the DRZ subforum on the Thumpertalk site about these seats with pix and lots of discussion, maybe have a look at that.

Cheers,
John

Re:wider seat options? 6 years, 9 months ago #1744

• terryk
  • Fresh Boarder
After reading the thread in the DRZ sub-forum on the Thumpertalk site about the seats from seatconcepts.com in the US I decided to order one. As mentioned by "bundyjd" the cost about $210.00 aussie including postage. I ordered the seat very early Tuesday morning and it arrived the following Wednesday morning. I have only placed the foam and cover on the seat base to see how it fits, so far I am very impressed. I will be doing the full mounting by the end of this week hopefully. I will post some photos and comments after I get in a good ride by about the 10th of June if all goes well time wise.

Cya Terry

Re:wider seat options? 6 years, 7 months ago #1849

• ADVJake
  • Fresh Boarder
i just grabbed a corbin seat off ebay for $170
bargain, keep an eye out, deals pop out now and then.
Other option is seat concepts

Re: wider seat options? 3 years, 11 months ago #4118

• terryk
  • Fresh Boarder
OK sorry about the 2years 9 months later.

I did set this up and have been using the seat since then. I have been very happy with my decision to buy this seat. When I bought the bike a couple of months earlier I very quickly realized that I was not comfortable on the seat and found that riding was not without pain, 50 years old doesn't help and had not rode a bike for 30 years. After installing this seat most of these issues have gone away and I have no problems riding for up to 8 hours in the bush tracks with this seat.

I have included the following pictures to show a comparison and various stages. This is not intended as a "how to", just what it looks like.

1 Old (left) and new foam
Seat01.jpg

2 Seat pan and new foam
Seat02.jpg

3 Foam on pan
Seat03.jpg

4 Cover placed on
Seat04.jpg

5 Cover stapled
Seat05.jpg

6-8 Finished
Seat06.jpg

Seat07.jpg

Seat08.jpg

Re: wider seat options? 3 years, 11 months ago #4123

The price Australian Cumfy Motorcycle Seats is going to charge for doing my seat using my old seat pan is only $9.95 cheaper than Adventure Moto (Australian supplier of the Seat Concepts motorbike seats), who will do me a complete seat, mounted on a aftermarket pan and I get to keep my old seat as a back up.

xrman wrote:
contact aussie comfy motorcycle seats and ask to have your seat widened and use softer foam. It costs a few hundred dollars. i am sending mine soon for surgery.
n00b rider but, keen as mustard to learn more :thumbs:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds