you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

airbox mod
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: airbox mod

airbox mod 6 years, 10 months ago #1595

Does anyone know if it's worth opening up the top of the airbox? The mod I've seen is for the 400s with a much smaller standard inlet - mine has the snorkel removed but I could cut some more out without losing the mounting point for the computer. Does this do anything worthwhile? The bike could use a bit more bottom end though it runs really well. It's got the standard gearing too.

Thanks, Paul

Re:airbox mod 6 years, 10 months ago #1601

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi paul , I cut mine when i had the S model , but now i have the E i have not bothered , it looks big enough and i also didnt want to loose the mounting point for the computer, perhaps a pipe will help with the bottom end .. cheers ..

Re:airbox mod 6 years, 10 months ago #1604

• Good
  • Expert Boarder
wayno wrote:
Hi paul , I cut mine when i had the S model , but now i have the E i have not bothered , it looks big enough and i also didnt want to loose the mounting point for the computer, perhaps a pipe will help with the bottom end .. cheers ..

I agree with Wayno but I would perhaps look at a header first - like the FMF powerbomb. I am hoping to have some spare cash soon - I will be looking at either a full FMF system with a powercore or Q silencer.

Re:airbox mod 6 years, 10 months ago #1611

• drztroy
  • Gold Boarder
ya dont need to do an air box mod to the E model
the 3x3 part that gets cut away isnt there on the E model.
well it wasnt on mine anyway ,,not sure if the 2010 is diffrent

Re:airbox mod 6 years, 9 months ago #1703

Thanks for the ideas. The DRZ has a great mid range but I reckon it could be better in the first third of throttle - and I've noticed it also starts to load up a bit when coasting down hill with the throttle closed. Clears easily enough with a rev or two but it makes me think the carb could be jetted better. I've put the B&B muffler end on it which sounds a lot better (deeper) but I reckon it's too loud, especially on the street. The dealer told me they're jetted pretty rich standard - maybe I should try dropping the needle one?

Anyone else had this problem? I could probably go down a tooth on the countershaft but I'd rather not.

Re:airbox mod 6 years, 9 months ago #1708

• Good
  • Expert Boarder
I had to play around with my needle a bit, I ended up dropping the needle down one clip position after the airbox mod, I still think the jetting needs to be adjusted a bit (cause if I lean the needle out any further is bogs under rapid throttle action). One day I hope to get the cash to get a JD jetting kit.

You could try a boyesen quickshot accelerator pump cover which should increase throttle responce.

Also, a quick mod you could try with the B & B is to wrap some muffler packing around the baffle and secure it with tie wire. I have read of this mod being done overseas.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds