you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Fuel Consumption
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fuel Consumption

Fuel Consumption 7 years, 11 months ago #1227

• Buddy
  • Senior Boarder
I am planning to do some long distance riding later in the year. Just wondering what distance your getting out of a tank, or KM/Per/Litre. Theres going to be a fair way between fuel stops and I am trying to work out weather to get a 17 lt (preferred) or go all the way and go for a 27lt tank.
Also has anyone changed sprocket sizes and has that made any difference to fuel consumption?????????

Re:Fuel Consumption 7 years, 11 months ago #1228

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
I reckon you should get 18-20 km/L cruising at legal speeds ( 100kph) approx. and a lot less if you are fanging off road.
Sprocket changes will affect revs and therefore fuel consumption. You should do a practice run and measure fuel consumption.

I used to run a 17L tank on my DR350. I didn't make it up the Birdsville track by 20 Km. My mate had an Acerbis 24L tank on his XR600, so I didn't have to walk. The 28L tank is not that huge between the knees and you don't always have to have it full.

You could always run the 17 L tank and carry a 10L fuel bladder for the longer trips.

Re:Fuel Consumption 7 years, 11 months ago #1231

• Daawl
  • Senior Boarder
IMO stick to the smaller 17lt especially if that is your preference.
I second the purchase of a fuel bladder.
I havent had to do overly huge distances so i got a smaller 3 ltr bladder. The beauty is if you know you don't need it leave it empty and rolled up out of the way and fill it up for those touch and go times.

I did change my rear sproket and mangaged to get approx 18km/l with pushing some boundaries a little.
09 DRZ400E
7yo Daughter PW80
4yo Daughter JR50 (just learning)

Re:Fuel Consumption 7 years, 11 months ago #1232

• The Maso
  • Senior Boarder
I am running 15 - 44 gearing and have just put on a 17 litre Safari tank.

Last weekend we did a bit of a trip and I got 450Km to reserve.

That was without trying to get the extra bit of fuel from the other side.

I fueled up at one stage at 380Km and the tank actually took 18 litres which was no where near getting to reserve.

I also carry an extra tank I had made ( before the Safari tank )that straps to my back rack which holds a furthur 8 Litres which is good for another 180 odd Km's
If its not broken.
Fix it until it is !!

Re:Fuel Consumption 7 years, 11 months ago #1233

• Buddy
  • Senior Boarder
"I fueled up at one stage at 380Km and the tank actually took 18 litres which was no where near getting to reserve."

Reminds me of the time we filled up a 5lt jerry can up at Camerons Corner and the bowser registered 7lts @ $2.15 per lt....... would be nice rolling in there and filling the Cruiser..... expected to pay top dollar for the fuel but 7 lts in a 5lt container????

Thanks for the replies guy, I am thinking of changing the gearing and it looks like the17 lt tank will do the job.

I have heard that the 17lt tank can actually hold up to 20lts. Cheers
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds