Login form

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Long range tank wanted.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Long range tank wanted.

Long range tank wanted. 2 years, 10 months ago #5130

The title just about says it all, I did a 327 km trail ride yesterday, I need a big tank, any suggestions as to brand, size or quality appreciated but most of all who has one that they want to sell?

Preferably a tank in the 16-20 litre range, but not sure how bigger tanks effect a DRZ.

PM does not work for me so you can contact me by posting here or at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Let me know what you have!

Tony.
2006 DRZ400E

Re: Long range tank wanted. 2 years, 10 months ago #5157

• Knarf
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Tony,

actually I know IMS, Safari and Acerbis. The quality of the IMS tanks is quite poor from my perspective...
On a DR650SE I've had for two weeks, the Safari tanks were really good, so I expect the same for the DRZ. They have 17L and 28L tanks.
For my DRZ I bought a Acerbis 18L tank (sometimes they are also specified w/ 16L) and I'm really happy with it. As I'm planning to use rear tanks as well, this should be sufficient. ;-)

Regards
Stephan

Re: Long range tank wanted. 2 years, 10 months ago #5158

Good info Stephan, thank you.
2006 DRZ400E

Re: Long range tank wanted. 2 years, 10 months ago #5189

• sadrz
  • Senior Boarder
I have emailed you mate
2015 Drz400e

Re: Long range tank wanted. 2 years, 10 months ago #5191

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
I have a 17ltr safari tank which has been awesome over the years , stretched a bit now , holds closer to 19 litres . Only problem I have ever had was that I let it sit dry in the shed for about two years , (yeah didn't do any big trips) and the seals on the petcock dried out and leaked (my fault) .. cant fault there tanks , and good people to deal with ...

Re: Long range tank wanted. 2 years, 10 months ago #5193

For sale Wayno?
2006 DRZ400E

Re: Long range tank wanted. 2 years, 10 months ago #5194

• sadrz
  • Senior Boarder
Only brand worth buying I have to say
2015 Drz400e

Re: Long range tank wanted. 2 years, 10 months ago #5195

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
No sorry not for sale
The following user(s) said Thank You: ajcmbrown

Re: Long range tank wanted. 2 years, 10 months ago #5198

• sadrz
  • Senior Boarder
Like I said mate, mines all drained and ready to be sent to a new owner
2015 Drz400e

Re: Long range tank wanted. 2 years, 10 months ago #5199

Thanks Matthew, I should have mentioned above that I was thinking 16-20 litres in regard to long range tanks, and was oblivious to the fact that a 28 litre tank was available for DRZ's.

I'll edit the original post to reflect this.

Has anyone here had any experience with the 28 litre tank and what it could potentially do to the handling? I can't help but think that even a half to three quarter full tank has lots of room to slosh around. I could be dead wrong on this point though, since I have never had a tank that big on any motorcycle, road or dirt.

Tony.
2006 DRZ400E

Re: Long range tank wanted. 2 years, 10 months ago #5200

• merretta
  • Administrator
Hi Tony,

I had the 28 litre tank on my two previous DRZ's but this time around I will be going with the 17 litre (which most people say holds around 19 litres).

It never presented a problem with the handling for me which Wayno can vouch for, I just never really needed that much fuel.

My theory is on the rare occasion I might need more then 17-19 litres I will just take a 3.5 litre fuel bladder and my other reason is I no longer need to ride 50 km to find dirt it's just 4 km.

Oh and thanks for the great ride report, if you like I can publish any rides like that to the front page just let me know.

Andrew
2015 DR-Z400E, Powernow Intake, Edge LED Tail Light. Pro Taper Bars, Bark Busters, Suzuki Bash Plate, B&B case saver
The following user(s) said Thank You: ajcmbrown

Re: Long range tank wanted. 2 years, 10 months ago #5201

Feel free to use the ride report Andrew.
Thanks for your thoughts on the big tank too.

Tony.
2006 DRZ400E

Re: Long range tank wanted. 2 years, 10 months ago #5206

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
For me , I like that the DRZ is small and easy to handle (compared to the big adventure bikes) and a 28 litre tank for me would take part of that away . Some people like Andrew have no problem with the size , 17 to 19 litres will get you a long way ..

Re: Long range tank wanted. 2 years, 10 months ago #5207

wayno wrote:
For me , I like that the DRZ is small and easy to handle (compared to the big adventure bikes) and a 28 litre tank for me would take part of that away . Some people like Andrew have no problem with the size , 17 to 19 litres will get you a long way ..

That is what I'm thinking too wayno, I had a KTM620 with a 20/21 litre tank and it was certainly noticeable when full.
2006 DRZ400E

Re: Long range tank wanted. 2 years, 10 months ago #5234

You have a 17 litre tank for sale? What colour?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds